Fruit Salad with Vanilla-Apple Syrup
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 2-inch strips lemon zest
- ¼ vanilla bean
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pint strawberries, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 1 pint blueberries (about 2 cups)
Smoothies all day 👌
Dates, berries, bananas, and water!
Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups
Nix the store-bought fruit leathers and make your own. Once you master the easy-to-learn technique, you can keep a homemade supply of fruit roll-ups on hand for your kids whenever they want a naturally sweet vegan snack. With spring on the horizon, you can stock up on fresh fruits at the farmers market and make a variety of fruit roll-ups depending on the fruits in season.
Note: If your fruit isn’t at its peak sweetness, add a couple tablespoons of agave, maple syrup, or granulated sugar.
To make Vanilla-Apple Syrup:
1. Place apple juice and lemon zest in pot. Slice vanilla bean in half and scrape seeds into juice. Add bean to pot as well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until mixture is syrup-like and reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove lemon zest and vanilla bean, and cool to room temperature.
To make Fruit Salad:
2. Toss mangoes, strawberries and blueberries with Vanilla-Apple Syrup, and serve.
Get your daily dose of greens in a delicious smoothie.
This green smoothie, created by plant-based dietician and cooking instructor Katherine Lawrence, combines dark, leafy kale with vitamin-rich fruits for a powerful way to start your day.